34) NIGGER OR NIGGA

I use the word "nigga" a lot... 

I mean a whole lot! If I see Budd in the morning I usually say, "What up my nigga?" If I feel a person is pulling my leg about something I'll usually call him on it by saying, "Nigga please!" If a person looks out for me in any way, let's say by sliding me a free joint, I'll usually hit him with a, "My nigga!" If I see someone I fuck with (No Homo) doing something stupid I'll drop a, "nigga?".....You get the picture. 


Today Budd asked me why I use the word Nigga so much. Actually Budd didn't use the word nigga he said, "The n-word." So I fucked with him and asked him what word was he talking about. I said, "neodymium, nonproliferation, numismatics. I could have gone on and on, but Budd was getting a little irritated with me. The reason I think I use the word nigga so much is simple.... It makes white people uncomfortable. There, I said it. The truth is, the word nigga doesn't bother the majority of my generation. At least inside of our circle. Black men call each other nigga in an endearing way behind closed doors and no one blinks an eye. I know black lawyers, black doctors and a black city council member who use the word nigga in private. Now in a public setting I tend to be more politically correct. I believe it's your surroundings that dictate your speech and mannerism. Your work persona is different than your at home persona. The way you speak to an elder is different than the way you'd speak to a peer closer to your age. And so on, and so on. 
The reason I'm getting all of this off my chest is because of the conversation I had with an older dude named Marcus X. Marcus X overheard Budd and I talking and decided to put his two cents in. Marcus X said that the word Nigga is used by ignorant Black folk, (I'm almost positive that was directed towards me.) who don't understand their culture. He then went on and on about how the white man stole our identity, how the white man replaced our African names with white European names, blah, blah, blah, blah... I'd heard enough. " Nigga, you sound like an idiot!" "All of this coming from a nigga who's last name is Fieldhand." Oh, I wasn't through yet. "Yeah nigga, I'm there when they give out the mail and call out your name." "If my last name was Fieldhand I'd change it too, but I'd be a little more original than X." 
The truth is I understand the plight of the black man in America. What happened to my people is the single greatest tragedy in human history, but don't think it all started with the white man. Let's not forget that black Egyptians enslaved black Israelites. Let's not forget that Africans were enslaved by Islamic Arabs from about the 9th century to the 19th century and all of this before the white man got involved. To quote my nigga Big Rob, "Shit happens, deal with it and keep it pushing. That's the breaks, nigga!" I'm over it, are you?

Deuteronomy 28:36

The Lord will bring you and the king whom you set over you to a nation which neither you nor your fathers have known,and there you shall serve other gods-wood and stone. And you shall become an astonishment, a proverb and a byword among all nations where the Lord will drive you.

Deuteronomy 28:41
You shall begat sons and daughters, but they shall not be yours, for they shall go into captivity.

Deuteronomy 30:1-3
Now it shall come to pass, when all these things come upon you, the blessing and the curse which I have set before you, and you call them to mind among all the nations where the Lord your God drive you, and you return to the Lord your God and obey His voice, according to all that I command you today, you and your children, with all your heart and with all your soul, that the Lord your God will bring you back from captivity, and have compassion on you, and gather you again from all the nations where the Lord your God has scattered you.


1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 22, 2008

    ~:*:*:Pixie:*:*:~ said...
    The reason I think I use the word nigga so much is simple.... It makes white people uncomfortable.

    You are correct. About me, personally, that is. I cringe and my heart skips a beat when I hear that word.

    My grandmother used it a LOT... and even as a little kid it made me uncomfortable... because when she used it, it was in a hateful way.

    See? I can't even type it.

    Blessings, Mike. You're a very smart man.

    ReplyDelete