1) NO LIGHT

My name is Michael, and in the year of 1995 I was sentenced by a jury of "my peers" to ten years in a high security federal penitentiary. After being charged with distribution of cocain my life came to a screeching halt. A decade is such a huge chunk of a persons life I literally couldn't phantom completing my sentence. Upon my arrival to the pen I decided to keep me a journal of the events I witnessed during my incarceration. I've met some of the most interesting, charismatic and intelligent individuals one could ever hope to meet in a life time.
Ten years is quite a long time, but I've met men who will never see the light of day again. An 18 year old with a forty year sentence, a 36 year old with 15 years in and 44 more to go. this is what we mean in the pen we we say, "He ain't never gonna see no light." During the course of my sentence I've written several thousand entries in my journal... Actually my journal consist of 16 folders. Inside these folders are all my entries. Some entries are several pages long, while others are just a few sentences scribbled upon a brown paper bag, or a napkin. Last week as I was going through some boxes I came across this journal. After reading a few pages I decided to trash it. The feelings and emotions it brought back are hard to explain, but I knew I didn't want to relive them all over again....
That is until my 12 year old niece found them in the trash and convinced me to post them as a blog. Here I will share with you all my thoughts, my dreams and my fears. I will bare my soul to you and pray that you and anyone you know will never have to go through this type of ordeal.

17 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 25, 2009

    Don't know ya Mike, but thanks for posting this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know you Mike, but thinks for posting your blog. Your niece was right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Took me time to read the whole article, the article is great but the comments bring more brainstorm ideas, thanks.

    - Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my name is Havivah Reynah and I am a student at Berklee College of Music. I saw your site while I was doing my marketing and promotion internship to help promote awareness for the Obama administration to help those that are incarcerated get better and fair treatment while they are in prison. You can check out our video at this link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F34p0YiSp8g&feature=player_embedded
    I am also a singer/songwriter and am looking for someone to help me promote my music. It looks like you might have the skills I am looking for. You can check out my music by googling my name Havivah Reynah and going to my website. Would love to talk business.

    All the best,
    Reynah

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 09, 2011

    THX for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 16, 2011

    need to check

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 29, 2011

    Hi Mike. I found your blog by accident surfing the web. I'm from Switzerland. It's very fascinating reading your journal and your first hand thoughts! You could write a book about it. Good luck and thanx for sharing! Andy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this post Mike

    ReplyDelete
  9. damn mike thats some deep shit, never went to the joint but sat it down in the county. hope your good and out from under the clutches of the jakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice blog, good job done man! keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mike! I don't know if you still maintain this blog but I stumbled on it from another one and wanted to thank you for telling your story. You are a very good writer, you should be doing something that involves that in some respect. Best wishes to you in your future. You are out right? Stay strong, stay positive and stay real. Shelia E. So Cal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mike,
    I don't know if you are still maintaining this blog but I just wanted to than you for posting your stories, thank you so much.
    I hope you are doing well and that you keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousJuly 20, 2012

    hey mike, you don't write anymore? hope you are doin ok

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't see any recent postings, but I love what you have posted. Would love to hear more of your stories I hope you continue.
    I have a dear friend that is serving ten years in federal prison.
    I worry about him everyday.
    I would love to hear how you are adjusting now.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously just amazing. I enjoyed every bit of this, and wish there were more! I have always wondered what a federal prison was like. Both my parents have been in prison most of my life. Thanks for shedding some light!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply amazing. I couldn't stop myself from reading. I've always wondered what prisons were like, especially federal ones. Thanks for shedding some light.

    ReplyDelete
  17. DOBS, I remember that name, but maybe not. So many faces, i cannot remember them all. Evern until this day. I was next door at the other two spots, and I know exactly what it is. Fo'sho, but you an monetize your blog also, I am doing the same thing with mines..and I know you know some of my boys that left, when they shipped out a bunch of them. I was even in the new hole for a time. Not the old dungeon down stairs. Yes, I know, stay safe and be good. Enjoy it my braddah.

    ReplyDelete